Optimizing the sound quality for the MT-32 and SC-8820

Just bought your first old school MIDI synthesizer and can't get it to work right? Having trouble getting DOSBox or SCUMMVM to work the way you want? Perhaps we can help. Do you have some neat tips you just want to share with the world? Or maybe you just need help convincing your computer to work. Either way, use this forum for all tech support related needs that somehow relate to MIDI and/or PC Gaming.

Moderator: Quest Studios Archive moderators

Spikey

Re: Optimizing the sound quality for the MT-32 and SC-8820

Post by Spikey »

I wasn't, I own one of those, but I legitimately thought the 8820 had digital outs :O

Now I know different, I had thought that for a decade!! Well there you go. Why oh why would anyone want one of them? The 8850 is complex enough WITH the full front panel, although I admit the 8820 has some sound improvements here and there (drums, clarinet for example).

I use my 8850 as a screen for my D70 (8820), basically :P

Thanks Jaffa, you have educated me once again :)
jaffa225man
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Re: Optimizing the sound quality for the MT-32 and SC-8820

Post by jaffa225man »

Spikey wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:40 am I wasn't, I own one of those, but I legitimately thought the 8820 had digital outs :O

Now I know different, I had thought that for a decade!! Well there you go. Why oh why would anyone want one of them? The 8850 is complex enough WITH the full front panel, although I admit the 8820 has some sound improvements here and there (drums, clarinet for example).

I use my 8850 as a screen for my D70 (8820), basically :P

Thanks Jaffa, you have educated me once again :)
I really haven't compared the 8820 and 8850 much because I like the piano of the 8850 so much more, but I originally wanted the SC-8820 mainly because I was curious about its sounds and like the thought of portability, powering it though USB with a laptop. I can't remember which, but there was an instrument on it that I thought suited some (probably SNES) game music better than the SC-8850's version. I was mostly comparing 8820 instruments that had more voices, as I'd thought they might be improved, but my recollection is that that wasn't necessarily the case. Even more strange, I think the instrument I was pleasantly surprised by, may have just used a single voice. But, if I was really going for authentic SNES music, perhaps that should make sense. ;) By your mention of them, I'll have to give the drums and clarinet an extra listen. I'm a little surprised that the D70, with its digital audio connections, doesn't have a nice screen like the 8850. In the manual, it looks similar to their fancier USB sound card designs, but I haven't noticed any that pair that with sound module capabilities like the SC-D70.

Thanks Spikey!