Quest Studios MIDI files

Chat about anything related to the QuestStudios Archive, Classic PC Games, MIDI, Etc.

Moderator: Quest Studios Archive moderators

Spikey

Re: Quest Studios MIDI files

Post by Spikey »

If you can make a list at some point, I'll have a look. Unless you only mean tracks like Kanen Expedition and Tom's reimagining of Sierra pieces like Lytton Litany.
Alderem
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Post by Alderem »

Re: the conversation over digital files, I've sent a list to Spikey.

Today, a small release: Conquests of the Longbow. Includes the MT-32 and GS Complete Soundtrack files already available here at the Complete MIDI Soundtracks page, but adds the individual track files for MT-32, General MIDI, Roland GS, and Yamaha XG previously available at Quest Studios, and all applicable hosting pages.

Also an update to a previous release: Silpheed now includes 5 individual tracks as converted for Roland GS, plus the GS hosting page.

I also reorganized a few of the other releases so that they have folders within them for different target synths, to make it easier to tell what is what.
Alderem
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Post by Alderem »

With thanks to Spikey for providing one of the files I was missing, today I've put up The Colonel's Bequest MIDI files archive from Quest Studios. Again, includes the Complete Soundtrack files already found on this website, but also various individual tracks for General MIDI, Roland ED, Roland GS, Roland MT-32, and Yamaha XG.

At some point, Tom had a file up called "cbgm3.zip" but later replaced it with "cb1gms.zip". Probably the same, but just in case they're different (they do have different date stamps within), I've included both.
Alderem
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Post by Alderem »

Today's posting, The Dagger of Amon Ra MIDI archive, including the Complete Soundtrack files already found on this website PLUS the individual tracks originally available at Quest Studios for General MIDI and MT-32.
Spikey

Post by Spikey »

Takes me back! I recorded the MT-32 version for this site back in 2004 (?). I was working on converting it to GS for a while, but gave up.

Still want to record it digitally some day..
Alderem
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Post by Alderem »

If anyone has a Google account and would be open to collaborating with me on a special project, let me know.

I've been chatting with Andrew, and understand his long term plan for the Quest Studios Archive is to have it "build itself" from a configuration file so he doesn't have to hand-code everything.

He shared a spreadsheet with me listing over 1000 separate MIDI files (not even including the digital recordings) he has available, most of which aren't yet listed on the archive. He also shared with me the configuration file format (JSON) he is using to automatically build pages such as Larry, the Complete MIDI Soundtrack Collection.

I've taken the spreadsheet Andrew shared with me and adapted it with these goals in mind:
  • It can be exported directly into a configuration file format very similar to what he's using today, so we can (hopefully) build the MIDI archive quickly
  • It can also be exported into a more complex format so that, with more scripting changes on Andrew's side, it could further automate the structure of the website
This is where you come in. The spreadsheet has a lot of blank space for track titles, artist names, and descriptions. I'm looking for volunteers to help me fill it out.
Alderem
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Post by Alderem »

My work continues slowly on the spreadsheet (as I'm the only one working on it), but I've got a lot of things automated now.

For example, if a file does not have embedded SysEx and requires SysEx to be loaded in advance to play correctly on the MT-32, this is now determined automatically from a column that provides that information.

Still accepting volunteers for data entry if you have an interest.
Alderem
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Post by Alderem »

All of the MIDI files from Quest Studios that I have (with some fill-ins courtesy of Spikey) are now posted at my website. This is 99.9% of the MIDI files that were on Tom's site in 2008, along with a few things he had posted previously but later taken down. Some details are yet to be filled in, I'll get to those later.

I've also updated the archive for The Kanen Expedition & Time of the Phoenix to include Tom's novel.

The folder structure in these ZIPs isn't perfect. Files are organized by synth type, based on how Tom had labeled them. Sometimes Tom would post the same file for both MT-32 and General MIDI. If the filename contains "gm", it's in General MIDI. If it doesn't, it's in Roland MT-32. I believe Tom was inconsistent about his naming. Don't worry, once things are up on Andrew's website, we'll put this confusion to rest (dual-use files will be configured to be listed as both GM and MT-32).

This should all be a temporary solution, until Andrew can get all of the files properly hosted here at MIDI Music Adventures. Andrew also has a few files that I don't have (just a few).

If you have any QS MIDI files that I don't have in these archives, I'll gladly add them - just let me know.
goatmeal1
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Post by goatmeal1 »

Thank you for all of you hard work on this, Marten. It is greatly appreciated!