Quest Studios MIDI files

Chat about anything related to the QuestStudios Archive, Classic PC Games, MIDI, Etc.

Moderator: Quest Studios Archive moderators

Alderem
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Quest Studios MIDI files

Post by Alderem »

I know Andrew has been busy and hasn't been able to put back together most of Tom's MIDI pages from QuestStudios. Kind of like putting back together Humpty Dumpty, really. Most of the focus has been on the digital recordings. They appeal to a wider audience since there's few of us hanging around with old synth boxes these days.

Still, I've got a mishmash of MIDI files that I downloaded from QuestStudios in the day and saved on my hard drive, which I have miraculously managed to not lose as I've upgraded my computers over the years.

So here's a place to tide us over. Each soundtrack I post will be a single ZIP, with everything I can find from Tom's site for that game. What you'll get inside the archive:
  • All individual ZIPs for the game's tracks, targeting all of the synthesizers that Tom recorded for or converted to.
  • If available, a snapshot of the webpage that hosted the tracks, pulled from archive.org, with the track descriptions.
Posting the files in this format does mean you may end up downloading parts you don't care about, but these days, a 600 KB download is nothing, right? :D

For the first day, I'm putting up Zeliard. Contents are 14 tracks for MT-32, 13 files for General MIDI, and one file for Sound Canvas, plus the Wayback Machine snapshot.

http://alderem.noip.me/QuestStudios/MIDIs/
16-Sep-2020 update : Everything is now posted, from "Adventures of Willy Beamish" through "Zeliard".

I do not have any particular cadence planned for posting these files, and I cannot promise that I can scrounge up everything that was on Tom's site. I am certain that I don't have full copies myself. Archive.org seems to have scooped up most if not all of the MIDI files due to their small size, so I'll fill in gaps where I can from there.

If anyone has specific requests, I'll try to take those first.
Last edited by Alderem on Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:42 am, edited 4 times in total.
Alderem
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Re: Quest Studios MIDI files

Post by Alderem »

Today's blast from the past, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. Two sets of files.
  • MIDI rips converted for General MIDI plus 1 MP3 file, from the lost archives of HighLand Productions
  • MIDI rips converted for General MIDI, from Quest Studios
Now at the URL above.

:arrow: As far as I'm aware, Tom never posted a foagm1.zip - the numbering starts at 2. Update: This is because file 1 was named "indy1gm.zip" instead, and this is now included.
Last edited by Alderem on Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jaffa225man
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Post by jaffa225man »

That's a great idea, thanks Marten! I started using queststudios after Tom had removed his LucasFilm Games stuff, so that's exciting to me. Like you, I've saved everything I noticed at the time.
Alderem
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Post by Alderem »

HighLand Productions never ripped the music from LOOM, but Tom did.

Now posted: All the LOOM MIDIs I downloaded it from Tom's site in January 1998 (Tom posted them in August 1997) - one file for MT-32, and six files converted for General MIDI. If there were MT-32 versions for the other 5 tracks and anyone else has those, let me know.

Also, I've updated the file for the Quest Studios rips of Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. I found out why there was no file #1 - it was named differently.
Alderem
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Post by Alderem »

Day 4: Tom's original compositions for The Kanen Expedition and The Time of the Phoenix. Unfortunately, I do not have the Cakewalk files, and they were too large for the Internet Archive to keep at the time these pages were captured.
Alderem
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Post by Alderem »

Day 5 - Today's soundtrack, Silpheed, posted at the URL posted at the top of this thread.

Originally posted back in the late 90's as seven individual tracks for MT-32 and Sound Blaster AWE General MIDI, track #6 (Asteroid Belt) vanished from Tom's site in the new millennium. Around that time, Tom added the "complete soundtrack" edition, and that became the only way to hear this track.

The archive includes all seven individual track files and their hosting page as they were available in October 1999, plus the four versions of "Complete Soundtrack" (targeting MT-32, GS, Yamaha XG, and SB AWE) and their hosting page as it appeared in February 2008 (which can also be found at the Complete MIDI Soundtracks page here at MIDI Music Adventures).

Update 17-Aug-2020 I've added 5 Roland GS tracks and their hosting page as well.
Last edited by Alderem on Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
Alderem
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Post by Alderem »

Day 6 (I'm not counting days I skip) - Sierra Classics. These are MIDI files (and a few MP3s) created with the help of the Sierra AGI MIDI Utility found at the MT-32 Resource Utilities page, then enhanced by Tom with custom instrument mapping. Listen to Sierra's classic AGI (Adventure Game Interpreter) games in all of their ear-tingling 4-voice glory as if they'd been composed for MIDI in 1987!

Includes themes from:
  • The Black Cauldron
  • King's Quest
  • King's Quest III*
  • Leisure Suit Larry
  • Mixed-Up Mother Goose
  • Police Quest
  • Space Quest II
  • Thexder
* There are two versions of the KQ3 Ending Theme in MP3 format; I can't tell the difference between them, but they are two different file sizes so I'm including both for completeness.
Alderem
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Post by Alderem »

Day 7: Arrangements and Originals. This is a big one, and special thanks to Spikey for helping me to complete this!

From the included README:
This "Arrangements and Originals" archive includes material from two sections from Quest Studios' website:
* Special Arrangements
* Original Music
Content came and went from these sections over the years, so this archive includes multiple snapshots of the hosting pages.
This is a much larger archive than the others (57 MB) due to the inclusion of eight MP3s and one OGG. As a general rule, I am only including digital audio in these archives when source MIDIs aren't available.
Spikey

Post by Spikey »

Just to be clear, which tracks don't have source MIDI's? Or too many to mention?
Alderem
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Post by Alderem »

Spikey wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:52 am Just to be clear, which tracks don't have source MIDI's? Or too many to mention?
For any track in any of these archives that is digital audio (13 so far, I think), I don't have source MIDIs. For example, the "Lytton.mp3" that you provided for me. So far as I know, Tom never provided the original MIDI sequence, only the MP3.