King's Quest IV Finale MIDI

Chat about anything related to the QuestStudios Archive, Classic PC Games, MIDI, Etc.

Moderator: Quest Studios Archive moderators

jaffa225man
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Re: King's Quest IV Finale MIDI

Post by jaffa225man »

Spikey wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:42 am OK, with Note Off, you guys mean the velocity for "Note Off", not a controller command, right? I see that KQ4 uses nonstandard values. In every Sierra game, barring maybe an odd track here or there, the default 64 is used for "Off" velocity, and KQ4 uses sometimes 64 and sometimes varying values. I'm guessing this is what you're referring to?
Yes, I was referring to "Note Off" message velocity, not the Controller 123 "All Notes Off" messages.

It's interesting that all Sierra games you've noticed have 64 velocity for "Note Off" messages, but the original KQ4_5.mid from queststudios has no true "Note Off" messages, in favor of "Note On" with 0 velocity (which presents no problems when using overflow assign from the CM-32L and CM-64). It is quite possible Tom doctored it up, though.
Even that aside, I can't think of many games where a note would have a velocity of 127 and the instrument itself would be set to CC #7 Volume of 127. Are you saying it's not that that's the issue, Jaffa, but some SysEx volume part change, or are you saying the SysEx and the high controller values in tandem are causing the "volume overflow"?
No, it definitely is the issue of high velocities mixed with CC #7 messages set too high. Initially, I noticed that the SysEx set high Part Volumes, but even after correcting that, the CC #7 messages raised them, reinstating the issue. If you set just CC #7 lower, it overrides that previous SysEx message (because the controller happens after it, and no other "Part Volume" SysEx is repeated in KQ4_5.mid after those controller messages). The SysEx "Part Volumes," are in complete agreement with the CC #7 messages, so it's redundant. Either the SysEx or CC #7 could cause the digital volume overflow, but since the CC #7 messages happen later, they override the SysEx.

I hope that helps clarify it, although I think it's just a rewording and, even now, seems like I should be able to describe it better. Sorry ;)
Ari
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Post by Ari »

Spikey wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:39 am I did become friends with William Goldstein on Facebook recently, interestingly enough. Not sure if you guys saw, but he released an "official" version of the score, although it misses a lot of tracks, I think (I don't know this score very well).
Cool! I was not aware of that at all!
I just found it on Spotify, so I'm definitely going to have a listen!
Ari
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Post by Ari »

Well, it seems our friend Xeen has noticed my post, and uploaded his own "fixed" version of the KQIV Finale to YouTube, including the timpani and volume changes I incorporated to my edit.
I don't know if I should be flattered, or mad for not getting any credit for the find... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcU7T8Ak0qw
Spikey

Post by Spikey »

It's par for the course. I sent him some exclusive tracks back when we were still talking, and they are part of his channel now with zero credit to me or acknowledgement in any way. The credit given usually implies some direct relationship with a composer that never took place (and in fact often happened with me in place of him!).
I am sorry, though. It does suck.

Also, I see his new KQ7 score is over 7 hours long! :O
goatmeal1
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Post by goatmeal1 »

You could always credit yourself by making a comment below the video:

"Hey, Xeen -- Glad you were able to take advantage of my fix to the KQ4 MIDI file. Looks like you forgot to credit my efforts above in the description."

...that is, until he turns off the public comments. :|
Ari
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Post by Ari »

LOL! Great idea! I might actually do that. :lol:
Ari
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Post by Ari »

Spikey wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:18 am Also, I see his new KQ7 score is over 7 hours long! :O
Yeah, I can't say I particularly like his method of "curating" the music.
He's so pedantic and technical, it robs the music of all its' soul...
Spikey

Post by Spikey »

I tried listening to his KQ5 GM recordings (which again, I provided the masters for), because I'm not familiar with that conversion, and as Ari says, it was so pedantic it was a chore to listen to. The introduction was in about 15 parts, and I couldn't keep listening. It was fatiguing and lost all of the art that Tom (and hopefully I) brings to the table, editing and curating it in such a way as to make it enjoyable to listen to, even if not technically complete. But I'm more referring to editing than curating, as far as what Tom and I (and others like Ari) do.

Anyway, great job on the KQ4 file Ari. You must be doing something right if others are copying your work!

(Incidentally, post your LSL3 stuff here!)
goatmeal1
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Post by goatmeal1 »

Spikey wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:27 am (Incidentally, post your LSL3 stuff here!)
Yes, yes, post the LSL3 stuff here!

And anything else you have, like the BAK discussion on Facebook (hint, hint)...

I've also dug up some BAK GM MIDIs I came across years ago (they say 2004) -- I don't know where I got them, not sure where they came from, nor can I find any hint of them anywhere on the 'Net -- but you guys are welcome to have them:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tx2JzT ... sp=sharing
Ari
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Post by Ari »

Thanks, Alistair! :)
Yes, "a chore to listen to" is indeed the way to describe his channel.
I'll open a new post for the LSL3 CM-64 Soundtrack and post the Links there.