Vale, Jan Paul Moorhead

Chat about anything related to the QuestStudios Archive, Classic PC Games, MIDI, Etc.

Moderator: Quest Studios Archive moderators

Spikey

Vale, Jan Paul Moorhead

Post by Spikey »

Hey folks,

It is with a heavy heart that I announce the passing of a well-known Sierra/Dynamix composer, Jan Paul Moorhead (aka Jan Moorehead, and other variations).

He passed in August 2020, survived by his wife, and this was discovered this week by a former Dynamix employee.

He is probably best known for his amazing work on the Betrayal at Krondor score, and his part of the work on the Willy Beamish soundtrack, as well as some Incredible Machine music on various titles.

I believe this is the first such passing we've experienced in the community. Very sad news. My heart goes out to the Moorheads and the still quite tight-knit Dynamix ex-employee family. Vale, Jan Paul.

I had a look at the various Krondor recordings on YouTube, and I feels like this one is the most appropriate, both beautiful, melancholy and even a well done cover to boot.
Betrayal at Krondor - Temple
goatmeal1
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Re: Vale, Jan Paul Moorhead

Post by goatmeal1 »

BAK is one of my favorite game scores of all time.

I even Emailed Mr. Moorhead about 15 years ago, asking for his recollections of composing the score and for further information on any potential track titles he may have given to his BAK music, but sadly, I never heard back from him.
farvardin

Post by farvardin »

I didn't really know well the Betrayal at Krondor's music, I've searched for it and it's indeed very nice. Jan was a great composer...
Ari
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Post by Ari »

Coming in "a bit" late to this thread - I somehow missed it back in March - I was thinking of another tune that would be perfect to mark Jean Paul's passing.
I've been re-recording the Betrayal at Krondor soundtrack these past few days, so I decided to make an SC-88 mix of the theme of Gorath and Patrus' demise, which I renamed now "Lamentations", in the spirit of Raymond E. Feist's book chapter name choices.

Anyway, here it is:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-rk6Rc ... sp=sharing
goatmeal1
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Post by goatmeal1 »

Thanks for sharing. Would love to hear the complete soundtrack upon its completion.
Ari
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Post by Ari »

It's an ongoing project, so you can have a look here in the meantime:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing