Leisure Suit Larry 3 - CM-64 Soundtrack

Chat about anything related to the QuestStudios Archive, Classic PC Games, MIDI, Etc.

Moderator: Quest Studios Archive moderators

Ari
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Re: Leisure Suit Larry 3 - CM-64 Soundtrack

Post by Ari »

Indeed.
I thought it sounded better with the guitar than with the piano.
It actually made me think of the opening of the theme song from "Greatest American Hero" like that. :lol:
Spikey

Post by Spikey »

Ari, about the MIDI files you included. I haven't opened them, but what patch map are they for? I'm thinking the CM-32P only has 64 instruments, so it probably only has patch change messages from 1-64, right? Or are they like the digital files, some parts for MT and some for CM?
Ari
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Post by Ari »

Hi, sorry, I missed your post.
Sort of. The CM-64 uses the CM-32P patch map for channels 11-16. It has, indeed, only 64 patch change messages (1-64), but it also reserves patch change messages for the SN-U110 expansion card from 65 onwards.
Channels 2-10 are the CM-32L part, and work as you might expect.
So yeah, the MIDI files play the exact same as the digital files on the CM-64 without having to mix anything.
jaffa225man
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Post by jaffa225man »

Ari wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:52 am Hi, sorry, I missed your post.
Sort of. The CM-64 uses the CM-32P patch map for channels 11-16. It has, indeed, only 64 patch change messages (1-64), but it also reserves patch change messages for the SN-U110 expansion card from 65 onwards.
Channels 2-10 are the CM-32L part, and work as you might expect.
So yeah, the MIDI files play the exact same as the digital files on the CM-64 without having to mix anything.
Ari, I couldn't have said it better myself! And thanks for your renditions!

Spikey, as you know so much, adding one detail probably won't help, but here goes: The problems arising from older Sierra games on the CM-64, seem due to Sierra's use of channels above 10 for Adlib or other sound cards. But, of course, the CM-32P parts can be muted for full compatibility with the CM-32L. I love my CM-64's versatility, and wish more than just the couple SHARP X68000 games utilized both its built-in units.

I really should start getting creative and composing like Ari, but there are always other projects that come first. To name a couple that I still haven't been spending time on lately, there's the Behringer BCR2000 map I started for programming all parts of the MT-32/CM-32L, and, in qmidiroute, adding every practical conversion to SysEx from controllers, notes, velocity, aftertouch, etc.. (I've read about people using custom conversion devices to turn controllers into SysEx for use with the INTEGRA-7's organ drawbars, for instance, but all the possible uses are unfathomable.)