Some solo Sierra parts on the INTEGRA-7

Chat about anything related to the QuestStudios Archive, Classic PC Games, MIDI, Etc.

Moderator: Quest Studios Archive moderators

Spikey

Some solo Sierra parts on the INTEGRA-7

Post by Spikey »

Hey folks,

I recorded this a while back, but never got around to uploading it. It's a bunch of solo instruments/parts from Sierra scores played back on high quality Roland INTEGRA-7 patches. The idea at the time was to give a preview of the quality of the Integra for the recordings I was working on.. So far, none have eventuated. But hopefully that will change!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Oe9Jkl ... sp=sharing
jaffa225man
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Re: Some solo Sierra parts on the INTEGRA-7

Post by jaffa225man »

Spikey wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:44 pm Hey folks,

I recorded this a while back, but never got around to uploading it. It's a bunch of solo instruments/parts from Sierra scores played back on high quality Roland INTEGRA-7 patches. The idea at the time was to give a preview of the quality of the Integra for the recordings I was working on.. So far, none have eventuated. But hopefully that will change!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Oe9Jkl ... sp=sharing
Thanks, although I have owned one for a while, I appreciate any music tailored to it. That's the reason I upgraded qmidiroute a while back. There just aren't enough compositions for it available online. So used to the popularity of the Sound Canvas family, it was irritating to not find much in the way of MIDI files for the INTEGRA-7. Your having pointed out it's unofficial SC-55 map was the reason I decided to get it. Sadly that just allows good-quality, faithful playback of GS music, not an upgrade like with the SC-8850's subtle map improvements. The built-in demo songs, though, captivated me from the get-go! I'm sure you're aware by now, but qmidiroute has been made to forward instruments to (I hope better) other ones, at the user's choosing. I think of it just like editing all MIDI files at once. It's just a translator sitting between the player and hardware, and that's one of the many powers MIDI offers.

In other, slightly related news, I've been working on getting a patch accepted to the Linux Kernel, and it finally may be supporting USB digital audio for the INTEGRA-7, Boutique D-05, and R-26 (along with many others which I don't own, & can't test, but have noticed support requests for spanning about a decade) in mainline kernel version 5.13. It was fun to realize that most modern Roland devices have double-use as sound cards: they both play and record crystal-clear, due to their (albeit non-class-compliant) implicit feedback use. Here's a link to my kernel patch, if anyone wants to try it early: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=212519

Thanks for the music, Spikey, I've just downloaded it and can't wait to listen! :)
Edit: Yes, those are perfect, clear, quality, solitary instrument examples. Good choices!