MIDI rips of Konami's 1993 Sharp X68000 game, "Akumajō Dracula" for Roland MT-32/CM-32L/CM-64

Chat about anything related to the QuestStudios Archive, Classic PC Games, MIDI, Etc.

Moderator: Quest Studios Archive moderators

jaffa225man
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

MIDI rips of Konami's 1993 Sharp X68000 game, "Akumajō Dracula" for Roland MT-32/CM-32L/CM-64

Post by jaffa225man »

I discovered through arfy's channel's oldest archived show, a game system I hadn't known used the MT-32/CM-32L/CM-64 for output. He played a Castlevania track that I didn't know had ever been scored for these synths. I took the easy route first, just searching google, but couldn't find MT-32 MIDI rips that sounded right. So I attempted to properly recreate what this reddit post had, but with the knowledge of startup SysEx. I used an emulator called WinX68kHighSpeed, and ripped them from the MIDI-THRU port on my MT-32 (old). SysEx was delayed properly for the old model, but I've come to realize that the (also listed in-game) CM-32L and CM-64 were probably the intended devices. A couple songs have harder overdrive guitar and partial-dropping that doesn't exist on MUNT in CM-32L mode. I, nevertheless, captured the initial SysEx, stripped out non-SysEx and SysEx delays, re-added near-to-the-minimum SysEx delays for MT-32 old and put it in a file called MT-32_Initial-SysEx.mid. Then, from it, I re-removed the delays (really for the other synths), putting it in a plain SysEx data file, MT-32_Initial-SysEx.syx. Finally, I included a direct capture of true output with their in-game startup delays, intro music, and menu music (as MT-32_Initial-SysEx-Konami-Intro-and-Menu.mid). Aside from, possibly, the Konami music and a test music stop playing file (which I appended all-notes-off and reset-all-controllers to -the original didn't, as they must have just turned notes off previous to playing this "song"), the rest is probably what anyone will be most interested in, the real music. Without further backstory (surely that was enough), here:
Akumajō-Dracula_Sharp-X68000_Roland-MT-32_MIDI-rips.7z
(170.05 KiB) Downloaded 2673 times
are the MIDI files I captured from Konami's 1993 Sharp X68000 game, "Akumajō Dracula" for Roland MT-32/CM-32L/CM-64.

Enjoy,
-Lucas
andrew603
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MIDI rips of Konami's 1993 Sharp X68000 game, "Akumajō Dracula" for Roland MT-32/CM-32L/CM-64

Post by andrew603 »

Awesome stuff! These are great!

BTW, if you're interested, you can check out this old show of mine and skip to 52 minutes in: http://www.midimusicadventures.com/2013 ... 04-x68emu/

We play around with the WinX68kHighSpeed emulator and start Castlevania at that time in the show. I'd never really heard the MIDI music from it until that point other than testing that it worked before the show. It was a lot of fun! We played it with the CM-64 I believe, and then one of my Sound Canvases, I don't remember which one off the top of my head but probably mention it in the show.

~Andrew
jaffa225man
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Re: MIDI rips of Konami's 1993 Sharp X68000 game, "Akumajō Dracula" for Roland MT-32/CM-32L/CM-64

Post by jaffa225man »

andrew603 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:15 am Awesome stuff! These are great!

BTW, if you're interested, you can check out this old show of mine and skip to 52 minutes in: http://www.midimusicadventures.com/2013 ... 04-x68emu/

We play around with the WinX68kHighSpeed emulator and start Castlevania at that time in the show. I'd never really heard the MIDI music from it until that point other than testing that it worked before the show. It was a lot of fun! We played it with the CM-64 I believe, and then one of my Sound Canvases, I don't remember which one off the top of my head but probably mention it in the show.

~Andrew
Thanks; I agree! Castlevania already has some great remixes, but these versions have less square wave than the GM/GS files I found so far and I love it! - Especially that biyoon drone pad!
The song including it, to me at least, is clearly best on the LA synthesis. I am also more partial to the LA synth sound, generally, though. I am now awaiting a recently purchased Roland CM-64 just because of this experience with the Sharp X68000 and it listing the CM-64 as an output option. Of course, I would have gone with the reportedly quieter CM-32L if I could have found one. Either way, I can finally stop relying on Munt to experience those 33 extra sounds, near-instant SysEx, and what certain games should sound like. Munt will still come in handy to make oddities in midi compositions obvious with its nice debug messages in the terminal. (In one of the files I recorded, above, it warns of an instrument being muted. I know I recorded it properly so I chalk that up to a mistake in their midi coding. I have yet to manually raise that channel's volume to see what it really can sound like.)

Thanks for sharing that show. I'm just discovering this now while you were aware of it since the end of 2002! I listened to the whole episode and the Sound Canvas you used was the SC-8850. And, yes, I figured out pretty fast, that to do anything meaningful I needed a joystick. I didn't even know how to navigate the main menu without it. But with a joystick, it worked perfectly.

Thanks again,
-Lucas
jaffa225man
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Post by jaffa225man »

Since a recently manually-compiled Munt (1.5) proved glitchy loading the sysex for these files, I chose to record them from my new CM-64 for anyone curious. They're recorded as 48 kHz, 24-bit and encoded to quality 5 (in the range '-1' (worst) to '10' (best), '3' being default) ogg vorbis. Some of the MIDI tracks are duplicates (e.g. "Main Menu" and "Black Mass"), but this includes all of them, each unique.

I don't know if it'll be on my google drive indefinitely, but feel free to download it while it is: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2uObE ... 6XjZoyoW8Q

Enjoy,

Lucas
Last edited by jaffa225man on Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
jaffa225man
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Post by jaffa225man »

After listening to the reddit SC-55 files, I decided to create my own (inclusive of all the tracks) with built-in capital tone fallback. I sent it though my custom inline MIDI device (to create the hardcoded fallback) to my SC-33 and, through it, to my computer doing the recording. In case you're interested, here are all of my MIDI recordings from Akumajō Dracula (except previously duplicated data, which is now removed) as MIDI files in one 7-zip archive. I can hardly believe it's too large to attach here, but it is, so here it is through google drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2uObE ... fhzJwV5ZdQ

I didn't do such a good job ending the new SC-55 recordings, but I hope they're enjoyable. :)
Last edited by jaffa225man on Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
jaffa225man
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Post by jaffa225man »

And here it is: (hopefully) the final installment of these songs. This time, I've recorded the output of the GS MIDI files (SC-55 version) from the Roland SC-33 (a true SC-55mkII for this purpose) and SC-8850 (in its own map, not its SC-55 map). This way, you'll be able to hear the heartbeat sound and other GS sounds you maybe weren't aware were in the SC-55 version's MIDI files, on the off chance that you have no GS sound module. The compositions for the CM-64 and SC-55 differ from each other, but that's just the way they were composed for the game, and that's documented on wikipedia at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castlevan ... cles#Audio.

Here's the 7-zip archive of these in ogg vorbis format, originally recorded at 24-bit 44100Hz and encoded to ogg's quality 5 (in the range of -1==low to 10==high, with 3 being default): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2uObE ... bqqk0Umpwg

Thanks and enjoy!

Lucas
Last edited by jaffa225man on Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
jaffa225man
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Post by jaffa225man »

I just tried the binary version of Munt after a freshly compiled Munt 2.1 still had programming issues with CM-32L-CM-64_Initial-SysEx.mid. It had the same issues, but I found a solution. Connecting Munt's port to another MIDI file player (or SysEx player?) and playing either Initial-SysEx file from it, works to program Munt without errors.

I hope nobody was scratching their head on this issue as I was,

Lucas
jaffa225man
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Post by jaffa225man »

This is off-topic, but I haven't seen it documented anywhere, so...
I was having trouble compiling Munt 2.0 and 2.1 on Debian AMD 64-bit, with these two errors:

Code: Select all

Could not find a package configuration file provided by "QT5Widgets" with
  any of the following names:

QT5WidgetsConfig.cmake
    qt5widgets-config.cmake
and

Could not find a package configuration file provided by "Qt5Multimedia"
  with any of the following names:

Qt5MultimediaConfig.cmake
    qt5multimedia-config.cmake
The packages I needed were qtbase5-dev and, by the same naming scheme, qtmultimedia5-dev

After that, Munt 2.1 finally builds without complaint!

Also, back on topic:
While writing this, I noticed some SysEx messages in the other MIDI files mess up Munt's programming when using its built-in MIDI player. So, with all these files, it's advisable to use another MIDI player connected to Munt's port.

Thanks,

Lucas
andrew603
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by andrew603 »

jaffa225man wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:46 pm This is off-topic, but I haven't seen it documented anywhere, so...
I was having trouble compiling Munt 2.0 and 2.1 on Debian AMD 64-bit, with these two errors:

Could not find a package configuration file provided by "QT5Widgets" with
  any of the following names:

QT5WidgetsConfig.cmake
    qt5widgets-config.cmake
and

Could not find a package configuration file provided by "Qt5Multimedia"
  with any of the following names:

Qt5MultimediaConfig.cmake
    qt5multimedia-config.cmake
The packages I needed were qtbase5-dev and, by the same naming scheme, qtmultimedia5-dev

After that, Munt 2.1 finally builds without complaint!

Also, back on topic:
While writing this, I noticed some SysEx messages in the other MIDI files mess up Munt's programming when using its built-in MIDI player. So, with all these files, it's advisable to use another MIDI player connected to Munt's port.

Thanks,

Lucas
Interesting stuff! You should definitely post that to the MUNT project pages on either SourceForge or Github if you have not already. I've just made a "Tech support / knowledgebase" subforum. This info could be our first post. :)
jaffa225man
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Post by jaffa225man »

andrew603 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:08 am Interesting stuff! You should definitely post that to the MUNT project pages on either SourceForge or Github if you have not already. I've just made a "Tech support / knowledgebase" subforum. This info could be our first post. :)
Thanks! On your suggestion, I created a bug ticket on sourceforge at https://sourceforge.net/p/munt/bugs/29/ as MUNT's github page seems to disallow the bug tracking interface.

Thanks also for reposting it in the new subforum! That's a great idea and it's an honor to be the first post there! :)