SC-8850 information

Chat about anything related to the QuestStudios Archive, Classic PC Games, MIDI, Etc.

Moderator: Quest Studios Archive moderators

Matze

Re: SC-8850 information

Post by Matze »

Hi!

If you need Software or Drivers for the SC8850, you can ask me!

Btw, you can find many optmimized SC8850 VGM Midis on my website:
www.mdstudio.de

or on www.vgmusic.com too!

They sounds very good, because i made many midi files since 2000 and I used the SC8850 today too!

Regards,from germany!

Matze
jaffa225man
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Post by jaffa225man »

Matze wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:11 pm Hi!

If you need Software or Drivers for the SC8850, you can ask me!

Btw, you can find many optmimized SC8850 VGM Midis on my website:
www.mdstudio.de

or on www.vgmusic.com too!

They sounds very good, because i made many midi files since 2000 and I used the SC8850 today too!

Regards,from germany!

Matze
Thanks, I appreciate it! I've been assuming Andrew's SLib8850.7z includes the entire contents of the original CD, but it doesn't seem to have Mac OS drivers on it. I probably will never really need them, but if they are on the original disc, for completeness I wouldn't mind having that. Either way, as you probably have read, I'm using GNU/Linux and haven't an immediate need for drivers, as the (USB) SC-8850 driver is built-in.

Also, thanks very much for sharing your SC-8850 compositions! I found them a perfectly balanced joy to play (even without knowing the games' originals). The SC-8850 seems to excel with almost every GM/GS (& perhaps XG, although I don't have a true XG device to compare it) MIDI file I've tried, but it's always even more fun to hear music specifically composed for the SC-8850. You sure know how to sequence and master them! I hope to someday, but not knowing keyboarding is slowing me down.

Thanks again,

Lucas
Matze

Post by Matze »

Hi!

You can find and search here some old Roland Stuff, there is a SC8820 Driver in many versions, may be it works for sc8850 too?

http://chagal.org/support/download_drv. ... ey=SC-8820+

Yes, I tried my best for optimization for the SC8850 files, but I'm not so good like the most japanese sequencer guys, they made extremly good Roland SC88pro or SC8850 midis for many gamemusics!

Btw, I have some old unfinished VGM Midis with SC8850 map, may be I want to finished these in the next time!

Regards,Matze
jaffa225man
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Post by jaffa225man »

Matze wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:58 pm Hi!

You can find and search here some old Roland Stuff, there is a SC8820 Driver in many versions, may be it works for sc8850 too?

http://chagal.org/support/download_drv. ... ey=SC-8820+

Yes, I tried my best for optimization for the SC8850 files, but I'm not so good like the most japanese sequencer guys, they made extremly good Roland SC88pro or SC8850 midis for many gamemusics!

Btw, I have some old unfinished VGM Midis with SC8850 map, may be I want to finished these in the next time!

Regards,Matze
Thanks! Okay, I downloaded the SC-8820 mac drivers, but probably won't test them with the SC-8850 until I want to play with my old macs.

I think I have a few Japanese Video Game Music translations that are quite good which I found while searching for particular games, but they're mixed in with other non-optimized VGM files and few have attribution, so I haven't associated them to particular Japanese sequencer artists I like. I encourage you to continue, as yours are as good as the best I've heard.

I've been distracted updating my Rosegarden SC-8850 definition files to include all the drum map keymappings... something I'd happily overlooked before. It will take quite a while at this rate.

Thanks,

Lucas
Matze

Post by Matze »

I've found 2 of my SC8850 optimized Midis from Codename: Iceman!
On the old Sierra Website it was hosted here, but now its deleted!

I can not add midi files here directly, it is zipped!

Enjoy! :)
Attachments
pack.zip
(15.96 KiB) Downloaded 754 times
jaffa225man
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Post by jaffa225man »

Matze wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:17 pm I've found 2 of my SC8850 optimized Midis from Codename: Iceman!
On the old Sierra Website it was hosted here, but now its deleted!

I can not add midi files here directly, it is zipped!

Enjoy! :)
I think there's one there I hadn't heard, thanks!

In case you didn't notice, previously in this thread, I mentioned finding an EDMidi directory among my archive.org download of queststudios (and I posted a link to it from my google drive). It does contain your CNI-Whitney-sc rendition:
jaffa225man wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:41 pm After mirroring archive.org's snapshot of queststudios.com, I noticed many goodies, one of which applies to Roland's ED devices. Enjoy Tom's hard work converting MT-32 soundtracks to MIDI format for Roland ED modules: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2uObE ... sp=sharing :)
And here's a link to a working archive.org page featuring it: https://web.archive.org/web/20150215181 ... t/gs2.html

Thanks,

Lucas
jaffa225man
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Post by jaffa225man »

jaffa225man wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:53 pm I've been distracted updating my Rosegarden SC-8850 definition files to include all the drum map keymappings... something I'd happily overlooked before. It will take quite a while at this rate.
And... done! :) (You can see the updated post here for it if interested: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16&start=10#p167.)

So, at long last, I've modified my favorite track from "Raptor: Call of the Shadows" for the SC-8850 using my latest (3rd version, 2nd revision) Rosegarden studio file. It's only subtly changed because I think the original flavor should still exist. I added the distortion effect using Andrew's SysEx dump trick (editing with the SC-8850's front buttons and exported select SysEx by pressing DEC & INC together while over each parameter - thanks for pointing out this excellent function!). (The port I recorded the SysEx from in Debian was "SC-8850 Part A", but I didn't test the others.) Because I'm not sure which modules are compatible with the effects (except for the SC-8850/SC-8820), that aspect may or may not be compatible with others. Otherwise, I used the bank that should be compatible with all modules: 0 (which is either the only map or the map set by the buttons on the front of Roland GS modules with more than one). It's nice to have a frame of reference, so I'm including the original file I worked from too, and both recorded from the SC-8850 (in its native map) as Ogg Vorbis at quality 5 (24-bit & 48KHz, which is probably wasteful as the SC-8850 creates 32KHz output according to wikipedia).

Here it is: https://drive.google.com/open?id=10rYOp ... lfqVOwUtsa
Matze

Post by Matze »

Cool Midi, but a little bit dry and with low stereo seperation or do you want this look in the sound?!
Only for a test, I've added some Delay FX and a NRPN in the drumap! :)

And yes, SC8850 has only 32Khz Samples and this with like a adpcm compression!

Regards!
Attachments
SC-8850_Raptor-Bravo1-Tango4&7-OuterRegions1-mds.zip
(3.55 KiB) Downloaded 811 times
jaffa225man
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Post by jaffa225man »

Matze wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:04 pm Cool Midi, but a little bit dry and with low stereo seperation or do you want this look in the sound?!
Only for a test, I've added some Delay FX and a NRPN in the drumap! :)

And yes, SC8850 has only 32Khz Samples and this with like a adpcm compression!

Regards!
Thanks for your thoughts and the quick reworking. I hadn't even considered the stereo separation because I was basing it off the original MIDI (from the game) which I assume include the same pan values. Your delay values do give it a nicer soundstage, though. I also like the "Rich Choir" you used, having previously tried and reverted back from "St.BoysChoir" because it sounded thinner. It's neat that you did all that without having to replace the single true effect I could set ("Distortion" added to the "DistortionGt"). I haven't played with NRPNs yet; what does yours do to the drum map? Either the GS reset or extra SysEx loading at the start makes playing it on repeat pause a little longer than in the game, which loops it during play. I considered putting a GS reset in too, but ultimately decided against it because of the added pause, and anyway many GS files I play don't reset themselves, so I fill my playlists with a MIDI file containing just a GS reset just in case (placed before and after each file).

Yeah, but since it's the "samples" that are 32KHz, I had hoped the effects would add detail beyond that (well, not much as I see from the plotted spectrum of my two Ogg Vorbis recordings, which average at about 34.4KHz). And you're saying that the SC-8850 has its internal samples compressed with a similar algorithm to adpcm (which is lossy)? I didn't realize that.

Thanks again!
Matze

Post by Matze »

Hi!

Yes, its sometimes better, if you have many Sysex in the Midi, that you delay the begin from the first Notes.
I used a special Reverb and Delay Setup that I load first.
With the NRPN you can edit the Stereopanorama in the Drumchannel for each Note/Sample. This is very cool! :)
NRPN 3632 is the Tom Note C4 , NRPN 3639 = Note G4 =Splash etc. with Value 8192 you have a Center Pan, Value 12288 = Pan Right 96, Value 2048 = Pan Left 18 etc.
If you want, set it to 0 and you have a autopan.

Yes this is logical, only the Samples are @32Khz, but its not good do make recording @32Khz too! ;) You have the Soundcanvas "Rendering" with Delay, Rev. etc., I made all Recordings with 48Khz! :)

For all I know, the most Roland "Rompler" have a Sample Datacompression, Soundcanvas since SC88 or SC88pro with ca 4:1 and JV Modules with Boards 2:1, XV/SRX Boards I don't know exacly, may be mixed with 2:1 and 1:1!

Its ADPCM or similar algorithm, because on the SC8850 you can listen it the 4:1, it sounds typical like ADPCM! :)
2:1 is not so extremly, its difficult to listen it, like in the JV Synths!

Btw, i have here a new native WIP with my SC8850:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGvbOfEHA-Q

Best regards,Matze