Identifying the Piano and Victrola themes in Colonel's Bequest

Chat about anything related to the QuestStudios Archive, Classic PC Games, MIDI, Etc.

Moderator: Quest Studios Archive moderators

Alderem
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Identifying the Piano and Victrola themes in Colonel's Bequest

Post by Alderem »

At least some of the themes in the Colonel's Bequest are classic/ragtime themes. I'd like to have them all identified, but I don't know all of them.

UPDATE: Thanks to goatmeal1 and jaffa225man for early correct guesses, and most of all to Spikey for reaching out to Ken Allen - we now have complete answers!
  • Fifi's Victrola 1 - Gymnopédie No.1, by Erik Satie, 1888
  • Fifi's Victrola 2 - Original composition in French folk style, by Ken Allen, 1989
  • Fifi's Victrola 3 - Boléro, by Maurice Ravel, 1928 ... an anachronism in the game's set time of 1925
  • Player Piano 1 - Camptown Races, by Stephen Foster, 1850
  • Player Piano 2 - The Entertainer, by Scott Joplin, 1902
  • Player Piano 3 - Maple Leaf Rag, by Scott Joplin, 1899
  • Player Piano 4 - Bethena, by Scott Joplin, 1905
  • Player Piano 5 - A Breeze From Alabama, by Scott Joplin, 1902
  • Victrola Theme 1 - Original composition in Gershwin style, by Ken Allen, 1989
  • Victrola Theme 2 - Original composition based on flapper music and "Smile" by Count Basie, by Ken Allen, 1989
  • Victrola Theme 3 - Original composition in college fight song style, by Ken Allen, 1989
  • Victrola Theme 4 - Gymnopédie No.3, by Erik Satie, 1888
Last edited by Alderem on Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
goatmeal1
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Re: Identifying the Piano and Victrola themes in Colonel's Bequest

Post by goatmeal1 »

Marten wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:26 am
  • Fifi's Victrola 1
Gymnopédie No.1, by Erik Satie, 1888

As for the others, Ken Allen is still around on the Internet. Perhaps he can help?
jaffa225man
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Post by jaffa225man »

Marten wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:26 am
  • Player Piano 4
  • Player Piano 5
These two, I think I can identify as:
  • Player Piano 4 - Bethena, by Scott Joplin, 1905
  • Player Piano 5 - A Breeze From Alabama, by Scott Joplin, 1902
These and more can be found (well, right now it doesn't seem to be working, so the link is to archive.org) at www.mutopiaproject.org: https://web.archive.org/web/20080628174 ... er=JoplinS

Others seem familiar enough, although I do listen to the soundtrack to Colonel's Bequest enough too. If I can detect anymore I'll let you know.
Spikey

Post by Spikey »

I would suggest Victrola Theme 1-4 are all originals by Ken Allen (messaged him to confirm, haven't heard back yet). My violinist girlfriend assures me Fifi Victrola #2 is Ken Allen and not classical, too. (In her words, it's "made up" classical.)

Funnily enough, a design document for CB was uncovered recently and I had been working on some CB music, that's a story for another time, though.
The document is interesting, although it was finished before any music was worked on. You can see Roberta has a few ideas for what might be included- classics Varsity Daze and Sugar Blues.

https://www.sierragamers.com/wp-content ... /CB2V3.pdf
Spikey

Post by Spikey »

From Ken Allen tonight:

"Fifi's Victrola Theme 1 is one of the Gymnopédies by Satie
Fifi's Victrola Theme 2 is an original piece in a French folk style motif because Fifi is French
Fifi's Victrola Theme 3 is an abbreviated version of Ravel's Bolero
Billiard Room Victrola #1 is original and based on Gershwin's style (this game is set in an era where Gershwin was in his heyday)
Billiard Room Victrola #2 is original and based on flapper music but also on Count Basie's "Smile"
Billiard Room Victrola #3 is original and intended to be reminiscent of a college fight song
Billiard Room Victrola #4 is another of Satie's Gymnopedies pieces"
Alderem
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Post by Alderem »

Sweet! Now can we figure out which of the Gymnopedies is used for Billiard Victrola #4?

EDIT: Done, there were only 3 Gymnopedies, so the correct answer was obvious upon listening. It is #3.