SC-8850 information

Chat about anything related to the QuestStudios Archive, Classic PC Games, MIDI, Etc.

Moderator: Quest Studios Archive moderators

jaffa225man
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Re: SC-8850 information

Post by jaffa225man »

Matze wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:41 pm Hi!

Yes, its sometimes better, if you have many Sysex in the Midi, that you delay the begin from the first Notes.
I used a special Reverb and Delay Setup that I load first.
With the NRPN you can edit the Stereopanorama in the Drumchannel for each Note/Sample. This is very cool! :)
NRPN 3632 is the Tom Note C4 , NRPN 3639 = Note G4 =Splash etc. with Value 8192 you have a Center Pan, Value 12288 = Pan Right 96, Value 2048 = Pan Left 18 etc.
If you want, set it to 0 and you have a autopan.

Yes this is logical, only the Samples are @32Khz, but its not good do make recording @32Khz too! ;) You have the Soundcanvas "Rendering" with Delay, Rev. etc., I made all Recordings with 48Khz! :)

For all I know, the most Roland "Rompler" have a Sample Datacompression, Soundcanvas since SC88 or SC88pro with ca 4:1 and JV Modules with Boards 2:1, XV/SRX Boards I don't know exacly, may be mixed with 2:1 and 1:1!

Its ADPCM or similar algorithm, because on the SC8850 you can listen it the 4:1, it sounds typical like ADPCM! :)
2:1 is not so extremly, its difficult to listen it, like in the JV Synths!

Btw, i have here a new native WIP with my SC8850:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGvbOfEHA-Q

Best regards,Matze
Thanks for all the tips on NRPN's; they do sound useful! I wrote the Rosegarden SC-8850 studio file with NRPN & other controller limits in mind, but only to be certain I was including every feature possible. It will take quite some experimentation for me to begin using them as fluently as you.

It makes sense that Roland would compress what they can, as even in 1999 memory was a bit expensive. I'm just surprised I can't hear it, but suppose I haven't trained my ears for ADPCM as I have for common low-bitrate perceptive compression methods.

Although I haven't played that game or heard it before, your video does showcase your great skill at, and understanding of, the SC-8850's more advanced features. It's beautiful!

Thanks again,

Lucas
andrew603
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by andrew603 »

jaffa225man wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:47 am
andrew603 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:22 am By the way, I just posted my Doom & Doom 2 SC-8850 remixes on the main site. A zip of the MIDI files is also included. I used a lot of SysEx for the 8850's MFX and other effects. Check it out!

http://www.midimusicadventures.com/2017 ... revisited/
Sorry to bring this up so late, but do you remember the version of cakewalk express you used for your "Doom 2 – Countdown to Death" (D_COUNTD.wrk) file? I don't know the .wrk format enough to guess. I'm interested in exporting it to a type-1 midi file I can edit to be compatible with aplaymidi's multiple port method (without downloading sonar's latest trials).

Thanks,

Lucas
Hey, sorry for the super late reply.. it was Cakewalk Express 8.04.
jaffa225man
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Post by jaffa225man »

andrew603 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:33 am Hey, sorry for the super late reply.. it was Cakewalk Express 8.04.
Thanks! It wasn't too late for me.
jaffa225man
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Post by jaffa225man »

andrew603 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:33 am Hey, sorry for the super late reply.. it was Cakewalk Express 8.04.
Alright, I finally bought an old Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 and used it to open your 30-channel .wrk file. It worked (within wine 32-bit, on Debian 64-bit, even) and I used it to export a standard midi (type 1) format file. Like Rosegarden, the exported file contained all the tracks, many of which use conflicting channels! So, after sorting the tracks in cakewalk by port (so it would be easier to identify Port B tracks) and re-exporting the SMF type 1 file, I used a hex editor to add the meta events I described my Technical Support/Knowledgebase thread "Creating an aplaymidi (and compatibles) >16 channel midi file":
jaffa225man wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:53 am 1. Find the "MTrk"s throughout the file that pertain to channels you want to assign greater than 16.
2. For each, add 5 to the number contained in the 4 bytes directly following the "MTrk" in question (in hexadecimal) and store the sum in those same 4 bytes (in hexadecimal).
3. Also after each "MTrk" modified above, directly following the 4 bytes containing that changed sum, insert these 5 bytes: "00 FF 21 01 pp", where "pp" is 00, 01, 02, or 03 (which stands for Part A, Part B, Part C, or Part D... or really the port order specified to aplaymidi), so pp should be 01, 02, or 03, as 00 is the default port/Part normally used.
And now, I can play it easily in GNU/Linux with:
aplaymidi -p '28:0,28:1' ./D_COUNTD.mid
(or easier from other programs that use aplaymidi - such as audacious, although I built it from source since Debian considers it deprecated)

Here's the file for anyone else in my situation. Keep in mind, it is of course andrew603's creation:
andrew-Doom_Revisited_SC-8850_MIDI.7z
(4.73 KiB) Downloaded 897 times
Mlha1950

Post by Mlha1950 »

Pps, have You anybody driver SC-8850 for Windows7 (32-bit version) . Thanks for help. Jan
Matze

Post by Matze »

Hi!

I'm using only the SC8820 on a Win7 PC! My SC8850 is connected with my Win98 Retro PC!
I think, try the Window USB drivers for Vista and Vista 64, these must be work on Win7 too!
You can also use a USB to Midi Device and conenct the SC8850 with Midicable!

Best regards,Matze
jaffa225man
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Post by jaffa225man »

On account that I'm still very much a beginner at instrumental keyboarding, I probably shouldn't be sharing this publicly. I'm not sure what the tune is called, but it's likely everyone already knows it, as I learned it in middle school choir (unrelated to what we sang). Nevertheless the song is recorded from my (slightly edited, to extend the repetitive part and add the Atmosphere part) keyboarding, and not from that of a game, so it is my most original creation to date. My initial quantization attempt seemed worse than my raw playing, so this is my pure, natural, imperfect timing. I used a couple MT-32 instruments from the SC-8850's SC-55 bank so I could play with its (channel) aftertouch: Warm Bell, and Atmosphere. I also used the defaults from EFX 64 ("PH / AutoWah") on the Warm Bell channel (except that I enabled the channel aftertouch in the "CTRL" menu by setting "EFX C.Src2" to "CAf", and setting "EFX C.Dep2" to "-100%"). I couldn't hear the SC-8850's polyphonic aftertouch with the SysEx I'd used prior on the SC-55 MkII (F0 41 10 42 12 40 21 36 7F 6A F7), but it was probably more fun playing with EFX anyway and it can only be controlled by channel aftertouch or normal MIDI CC messages, as far as I can tell.

Anyway, if you're curious, it's available here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_fuhS ... 1WffuS8yTI
goatmeal1
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Post by goatmeal1 »

jaffa225man wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:20 am I'm not sure what the tune is called, but it's likely everyone already knows it, as I learned it in middle school choir (unrelated to what we sang).
The song is called "Heart And Soul" (1938) ;)
Composed by Hoagy Carmichael
Lyrics by Frank Loesser
Performed by Larry Clinton and his Orchestra
Vocals by Bea Wain

Here's a link to the original recording:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8CSjDC18b0
jaffa225man
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Post by jaffa225man »

goatmeal1 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:20 am
The song is called "Heart And Soul" (1938) ;)
Composed by Hoagy Carmichael
Lyrics by Frank Loesser
Performed by Larry Clinton and his Orchestra
Vocals by Bea Wain

Here's a link to the original recording:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8CSjDC18b0
Thanks very much for that! I've been curious for a long time, and people I've asked couldn't tell me, even though it was recognizable. :)