Games with either LAPC-1 or Sound Canvas modes or SB16 OPL4

Chat about anything related to the QuestStudios Archive, Classic PC Games, MIDI, Etc.

Moderator: Quest Studios Archive moderators

Trevor

Games with either LAPC-1 or Sound Canvas modes or SB16 OPL4

Post by Trevor »

Which games have specifically a "lapc-1" or "cm-32l" mode as their best music mode?
Which games have specifically a "sound canvas" setting for their music?

Also, how about games supporting Soundblaster Pro 1.0 vs Soundblaster Pro 2.0 for music. Soundblaster 16 1.0 vs Soundblaster 16 2.0 for music?
Crols

Re: Games with either LAPC-1 or Sound Canvas modes or SB16 OPL4

Post by Crols »

I'm don't have any knowledge of which games specifically support LAPC1 or CM32-L, however for the sound canvas I'm pretty sure that even if a game lists 'Sound Sanvas' as an option it uses
the exact same driver as the general midi option. I don't know of any games that use the specific features on that GS mode on the sound canvas provides. Though I suppose since most
general midi games were composed on a Sound Canvas, in a way most games do specifically support it, since the best true balance and sound is heard only on a Sound Canvas.
jaffa225man
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Post by jaffa225man »

Trevor wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:12 am Which games have specifically a "lapc-1" or "cm-32l" mode as their best music mode?
Which games have specifically a "sound canvas" setting for their music?

Also, how about games supporting Soundblaster Pro 1.0 vs Soundblaster Pro 2.0 for music. Soundblaster 16 1.0 vs Soundblaster 16 2.0 for music?
I don't have a full list either, but long ago found this wikipedia page striving to list game compatibility between CM-series (LAPC-I/CM-32L/CM-64/CM-500), MT-32 new, MT-32 old, and original synths (which a few list SC-55 and other Sound Canvas models, and a few others list OPL2/3 but I don't see, specifically, Sound Blaster).

And you probably already saw Spikey's post:
Spikey wrote: Fri May 27, 2016 7:55 am Just thought I'd post this since it came up in my week.

NewRisingSun and I have been investigating Leisure Suit Larry 5. It had been theorized that the game was in fact, composed for the Roland CM-32L (which contains 32 extra sound effects, as well as the usual MT-32 instruments), and not the usual Roland MT-32. The devices are very similar, with the CM being higher audio fidelity and containing the extra effects.

So, the conclusion is that this is the case, due to there being unusual notes in several tracks' drum parts. This is how the CM-32L triggers the sound effects. These notes directly corresponded to sound effects instead of drum sounds.
Ironically, the MT-32 driver for the game stops some of the sound effects being heard while playing, so most will have never heard them.

Provided is a list of the game tracks and the sound effects used/notes which trigger them:
- Dream Theme
Wind Chimes (D7)
- Michelle Milken (Parts 1 and 2)
Wind Chimes (D7)
- Shill Building
Wind Chimes (D7)
- Gettin' Some Air
Laughing (A#4), Wind Chimes (D7)
- K-RAP Radio (Part 1)
Scratches/Car-Pass (E7), Laughing (A#4)
- Gym Dandy Gymnastics Center (Salsa This)
Laughing (A#4)

Hopefully this is interesting to somebody!
Regards,
- Alistair
Crols wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:48 pm I'm don't have any knowledge of which games specifically support LAPC1 or CM32-L, however for the sound canvas I'm pretty sure that even if a game lists 'Sound Sanvas' as an option it uses
the exact same driver as the general midi option. I don't know of any games that use the specific features on that GS mode on the sound canvas provides. Though I suppose since most
general midi games were composed on a Sound Canvas, in a way most games do specifically support it, since the best true balance and sound is heard only on a Sound Canvas.
Since you mention it, I think "Might and Magic: World of Xeen" supports true GS because capital tone fallback, which is necessary for it's proper bow shot sound, always involves variations. And variations are only a GS feature, as far as I know. Although yamaha XG probably uses a similar mechanism, I believe Roland units are the only ones to support what's called a "variation". Sure, enough, the two "Xeen" games listed there on wikipedia say they're for SC-55.

My variations understanding could be hearsay; please correct me if I'm wrong,
-Lucas
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Mobygames is web site where DOS games are archived, btw.
Spikey

Post by Spikey »

A lot of Sierra GM/Sound Canvas games (especially later ones) feature percussion sounds which are only on GS compatible drum maps, such as Scratch-Pull, even if they use the default 'STANDARD' drumkit. You can read more in this thread:
http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=32587

Space Quest V uses GS drumkits, but the game driver stops them being transmitted in-game. Space Quest IV was going to use GS drumkits for some of the GM conversions (some files I have been given show this), but the official GM conversion was shelved and the 'autoconvert driver' which converted the MT-32 MIDI's on the fly was used instead (a disaster in GM support, sadly).

Larry 5 indeed was probably composed using a CM-32L for two reasons, the sound effects and the polyphony, which an old type MT-32 has issues with (for example, the Closing Theme and that Solosynth instrument). Again, the game driver cripples some of the extra effects, although most are passed through in game. None are particularly memorable though.

I was told that Sierra musicians in the Sound Canvas era wanted to use variation tones, but were told to dumb it down as much as possible. Nevertheless, you will notice that many GM scores sound only truly good on a SC-55 or better, as they were composed and balanced for the module itself.