I finally got a real MT-32 :)

Chat about anything related to the QuestStudios Archive, Classic PC Games, MIDI, Etc.

Moderator: Quest Studios Archive moderators

farvardin

I finally got a real MT-32 :)

Post by farvardin »

Hello,

I got a genuine MT-32 today (first edition), I'm so happy :D

I'll still use my mt32pi for daily usage, but the real module is a nice addition to my setup, especially for future recordings!
mt32_2024-05-18.jpg
the select / volume rotary encoder is not very precise and tends to fluctuate, maybe it's possible to change it later...
Spikey

Re: I finally got a real MT-32 :)

Post by Spikey »

Congrats for your first! Mine would have been in 2002, wow..
jaffa225man
Quest Studios Veteran
Quest Studios Veteran

Re: I finally got a real MT-32 :)

Post by jaffa225man »

farvardin wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 9:57 am Hello,

I got a genuine MT-32 today (first edition), I'm so happy :D

I'll still use my mt32pi for daily usage, but the real module is a nice addition to my setup, especially for future recordings!

mt32_2024-05-18.jpg

the select / volume rotary encoder is not very precise and tends to fluctuate, maybe it's possible to change it later...
Very nice! I hope you're loving the feel of the real hardware!

You've probably noticed, but to change the volume, you must turn it down to a lower value than currently set, before you can turn it up. That prevents other uses of the knob from causing sudden bursts in volume after them.

Since that's probably not your issue, the volume rotary control probably just has dust inside it, making it unreliable. I've successfully fixed the only one I've had issues with (in a CM-500), by disassembling the sound module (with its power unplugged) to access the rotary control from its back and spraying electrical contact cleaner into its holes while turning the knob's full range back and forth. It becomes less resistant to movement while wet but will dry quickly and the resistance will return to normal. With that, it should be like new.

You've probably noticed by now that the BattleOfTheBits competition songs for it tend to set the volume inconsistently, and even not always within a non-clipping amplification bit overflow bug range. That may be overcome with my qmidiroute patch, although not running GNU/Linux could make that a hassle to setup on a raspberry pi or other GNU/Linux computer. With it, the MT-32-digital-volume-overflow-fix-*.qmr files will edit, in realtime, the received System Exclusive messages which affect the master volume and part volumes.

If you want, it may take some time, but I can send you the BattleOfTheBits files I've downloaded after I pre-edit their volumes with qmidiroute. If you'd like that, just let me know. After all, you are the reason I got to hear all this new music for it, and I really appreciate that! :)

Thanks,

Lucas